Hope to see you there, I will be there filming the entire event. All the info below from www.hawaiislam.com
THE BEST SLAM POETRY SHOW OF THE YEAR IS HERE!!! THE 2014 GRAND SLAM FINALS AND 11TH ANNIVERSARY SHOW (April 3rd, 2014 at Fresh Cafe)...
Get ready to witness the 12 best poets from the 2013-2014 HawaiiSlam season performing their strongest pieces in a three-round elimination match to determine the members of the 2014 HawaiiSlam team. Proceeds from this 11th anniversary fundraiser will go towards sending the team to the National Poetry Slam in Oakland, CA.
Our super special feature for this show is C.R. Avery, a genius in many genres - blues, hip-hop, spoken word and rock & roll. He is a one-man band, but one for this generation; with the rare ability to sing poetic verse while beatboxing simultaneously while pounding the piano and adding harmonica like a plot twist. He has toured throughout Canada (including almost every major folk festival), the USA, and Europe (headlining or opening for Billy Bragg, Buck 65, and Sage Francis). He is a member of the talk-rock trio T.O.F.U. along with National Poetry Slam champions Shane Koyczan and Mighty Mike McGee. Furthermore, he has garnered the attention of music peers the likes of Tom Waits (“...he’s blowin’ my mind”); blues harp trail blazer Charlie Musselwhite (“...no one plays harmonica like him… no one…”); and folk legend Utah Phillips (“...raw talent”).
Tickets are $15. Those who buy tickets ahead of time will be given priority in the line. All those who buy at the door will come in after everyone else who already has tickets, so get yours now!! Tickets can be bought at the following stores:
- Fresh Cafe (831 Queen St.), phone: (808) 688-8055... open most hours of the day and night!
- Jelly's (670 Auahi St. #A-6... in the Coral Commercial Center), phone: (808) 587-7001
- UH Campus Center Ticket Desk (UH Manoa), phone: (808) 956-7236
- Hungry Ear (Kailua, 418 Ku`ulei Rd.), phone: (808) 262-2175
- Jelly's (Aiea, 98-023 Hekaha St.), phone: (808) 484-4413
- Internet purchase with a major credit card through paypal's "buy now" buttons located above or below this text. Note that phone and internet orders will be held for you at the door. If you're buying for multiple people, you can either hold all the tickets under your name or specify various names to hold them under (useful if your group plans to arrive at different times). If you are having difficulties with purchasing via paypal, give us a call at (808) 387-9664 and we'll help you out.
All tickets are non-refundable unless the show is canceled. Get ready for the best slam poetry event of the year!!
Details for the show are as follows:
April 3rd, 2014
LOCATION: Fresh Cafe Warehouse a.k.a. "Loft In Space"
831 Queen Street (@ intersection with Cooke Street)
Honolulu, HI 96813
Doors open at 7:30pm
Show starts at 8:30pm
Note: HawaiiSlam has official 501(c)(3) non-profit status through Poetry Slam Inc. If you are interested in making a tax deductible contribution to help our cause, please contact us and we will walk you through the very simple process.